Friday, 18 July 2014

Parmesan Rind

 
 
Day  199
 
Money Spent Today - £0     Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £210.17    Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £269.09
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money Earned Through Sale of Food £30.50
Money left in purse  -  £19.35
 
It's funny once you set your mind to NOT spending any money on food and making the best of what you have it starts to get easier.  Doing this challenge has made me think twice before nipping out to add anything to my store cupboard, I still have so much in that there are usually alternatives to what I am looking for.
 
I am also making sure that absolutely nothing gets wasted, so every time I open a pack of cheese, I grate the lot and stash it straight in the freezer.  No chance that way of finding mouldy cheese tucked at the back of the fridge.  Not that things can hide in there anymore, it's so sparse now that virtually everything is visible the minute you open the door.
 
Even Lovely Hubby is finding what he's looking for straight away !!
 
You may wonder why the rind is in the tub with the grated parmesan style cheese, well I keep them all so I can chuck them into stews, curries, sauces etc,  any meal in fact that is going to be simmering away for a couple of hours, it imparts the most wonderful flavour to every dish, I would never throw one away.
 
Just remember to fish it out before you serve up, or folk wonder what the hell it is :-)
 
Sue xx

3 comments:

  1. Have always wanted to buy fresh parmesan but never did because I know it would get wasted. But now I know I can freeze it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never frozen grated cheese - what a good idea. Sometimes I get cheese blocks BOGOF and when I freeze one block it comes out a crumbly mess. Your method sounds much more sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to chop the parmesan rind into small cubes before freezing it - then chuck it into soup/stew and leave it there. OH reckons it feels and tastes meaty in an otherwise vegetarian dish, so it always got thumbs up from him ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.