Monday, 21 July 2014

New Things to Try

 
Day  202
 
Money Spent Today - £11.19     Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £221.36    Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £269.09
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money Earned Through Sale of Food £30.50
Money left in purse  -  £11.16
 
Whilst restocking with a bit of fresh stuff, I did something I've not done for a while ..... bought things that I simply fancied trying. 
 
I've rarely eaten Sweet Potatoes and never eaten Sauerkraut, so I thought I'd buy some, I've also never tried Halloumi, I was reading one of my newer books 'I Quit Sugar' by Sarah Wilson and all three items were in recipes I fancied trying, so because my purse was pretty full with a whole £22.35 before I spent on these things, I just went for it.
 

None of the other things on the receipt were food items, but because it wasn't too long I still took a photo of it.
 
The book by the way is brilliant and is something I'm already well on my way to doing, quitting sugar that is.  I've almost completely lost my sweet tooth now, in fact the orange tomatoes pictured above tasted so sweet to me I had to chop them up and eat them with other things rather than just on their own as I had been doing!!
 
Sue xx
 

4 comments:

  1. Three of my favourite foodstuffs! I love that book as well :)

    I heartily recommend this sauerkraut recipe if you find you get the taste for it: http://thincooking.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/day-213-sausage-with-sauerkraut/ your LH will love it as well I'm sure, it's very munchable! And it should still work with a good veggie replacement for the sausages :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloumi is really good, especially for a veggie. Nigella Lawson does a great recipe using it, Double Potato Halloumi Bake. Sweet potatoes, ordinary potatoes, onions and carrots. Toss in oil and salt and pepper, roast. Ten minutes before they are cooked, slice the Halloumi, place on top of veg and melt in the oven. Super good

    A pub near here uses it in what it calls veggie fish and chips. So it's battered and deep fried and very yummy it is too.

    I think you may have found something you'll like Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to try halloumi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yotam Ottolenghi has a great recipe for sweet potato wedges in his vegetarian book, Plenty. Rather than just using salt and pepper for seasoning, you mix cumin in with the salt and use that. And the dip to go with it (creme fraiche with lime and ginger) is heavenly! Highly recommend that book if you don't already know it.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.