Wednesday, 30 July 2014

End of Challenge, End of Blog

 
Day  211
 
Money Spent Today - £0     Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £232.62    Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £289.09
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money Earned Through Sale of Food £30.50
Money left in  total Challenge purse  -  £161.90
 
I've been thinking about this long and hard over the past couple of days, trying to  decided whether to bring an end to this Challenge, throw in the towel as it were and stop completely.  Out shopping today in Asda for some bits and pieces I suddenly decided YES the Challenge is over. 
 
 I bought fruit, ice lollies, some more salad stuff and generally just threw into the trolley what I wanted to.  I didn't go mad, I think I've re-programmed myself over the course of the last 211 days to think and purposely buy, but it was such a relief to know that I could buy exactly what I wanted to buy and not hold myself accountable for it.  I spent just over £68 ... not a lot by some peoples standards, but a lot by others.
 
I think I've proved over the last few months that if you want to eat cheaply you can, there are ways and means of collecting vouchers and points and using them to supplement what little money you may have.  It helps if you start with a well stocked freezer and cupboard and helps if you know a bit about cooking from scratch and how to fill your freezer with tubs and tubs of cheaply made stews, soups and curries.
 
Homemade bread saves you a fortune, but I found it impossible to do over the last few weeks as I have had a thumb injury, so I had gone back to buying it from the shops.  Anyway I found that if I made bread Lovely Hubby wolfed it all down and he's not supposed to eat that many carbs and they don't agree with me that much either, so I will be reverting to just the occasional homemade loaf from now on and my stash of sliced loaves in the freezer to take out just a slice or two for toast.
 
The total in cash, points, vouchers and coupons that I have spent this past 210 days is £521.71, which works out at an average weekly spend of just over £17
 
There is £161.90 left in the Challenge purse and with this I have decided to spend some of it on a good night out this coming weekend for Lovely Hubby and me, and the rest will be going towards our few days away that we have planned in September.  A couple of nice meals and treat or two for us both.
 
So the money saved in the Sealed Pot which began this adventure will be used wisely.  This years Sealed Pot is feeling very heavy and is simply going to be put towards Christmas treats, so no more Challenges for me.
 
I'm all Challenged out.
 
Thank you to each and every one of you who have followed this journey, cheered me on, commented and kept me on the straight and narrow.  Sorry that this is the end of this Blog but if any of you have decided to do something similar please let me know so I can return the favour and encourage you to do even better than me.
 
Thank you.
 
Sue xx

24 comments:

  1. I shall miss this blog but will continue to read your other one. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed reading this blog Sue but I understand you don't need to keep on and on - like you say you can do if you need to and I have learnt many food saving and thrifty tips from reading this blog - so thank you for all the extra time and effort in living and writing about this experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the need to stop being restricted! The main thing is knowledge, a desire to live within your means and the support of your hubby! I have enjoyed reading this blog and have been reading your other for a couple years, hopefully we will see the occaisional foody post on there still.
    Kay xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be putting many more foody posts and tips etc on the other Blog, especially when we have our own crops growing again :-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks Sue, I've enjoyed reading it. I've found over the past few months that writing a shopping list, after having checked the pantry, fridge & freezer and written a week's menu, before I go shopping and - most importantly - sticking to it, cuts our food bill right down. And of course cooking from scratch, bread making and growing our own veg and soft fruit helps a lot too. We've hardly had to buy any veg over the last 3 or 4 weeks. Enjoy your treat at the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed this blog too and will miss you! Well done for getting this far. You've given us lots of tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have enjoyed this blog and I absolutely agree that you have proved your challenge. Well done.
    I follow your other blog too and look forward to reading that each day.
    Thank you for sharing with us.
    Love from Pam in Texas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue, When you reached the 6 month mark I thought you had well proved your abilities, but I have enjoyed following each day! I bet your savings techniques are second nature to you now. Any food splurges you are looking forward to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just looking forward to shopping without watching the pennies so much and not having to remember to keep the receipt. The only real splurge has been half a dozen boxes of Magnum ice lollies, now tucked very neatly into the freezer, and two bags of lightly salted crisps. :-)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing this with us - it has been really interesting, inspirational and motivating too. I've learned a lot. Your blogs are always very well thought out, and definitely worth reading, so I shall look forward to new posts on your other blog, and I am especially interested in the development of your new veg plots and polytunnel so I shall keep popping in xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks very much. Learnt loads from this blog and loved the pics of your cupboards. So glad your not stopping your other blog as well as absolutely love it - was the first blog I found.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done with this challenge Sue. Enjoy your treats xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sue. I've never commented before but have followed along from the beginning. It was a great challenge - thank you for sharing your purchases, cooking, baking and your wit with us. I will say that I'm sorry to see it end. But needs must some times. Thank you again :-)
    ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Sue! I think you've done fantastically on this challenge. Are you planning on leaving this blog active so we can refer to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will and I'll put a link to it on my Blog List on Our New Life in the Country, so you'll always be able to find it if you need to.

      Delete
  13. Thank you very much for this blog. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it enjoy your well deserved treat best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all these lovely comments.

    The funny thing was the day after deciding to stop this Blog my new set of Tesco vouchers arrived in the post and my first thought was ... 'that'll keep us in fresh fruit and veggies for a couple of weeks' .... I'm so well trained ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too have enjoyed reading this blog and was constantly amazed at how much fresh stuff and lovely food you managed to get on so little.
    I'll miss your daily updates and thanks for sharing

    Will be reading your other one with even more interest now the tunnels are so close, and envying all that lovely space.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done for getting this far - and thank you for sticking with it for as long as you did and blogging so regularly !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I missed the blog ending, and will miss the blog, but I'll keep reading your other one.

    Thank you... Dx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done Sue. I have loved reading this blog each morning and it has proved with careful money management and culinary creativity you can eat well and enjoy lots of fresh foods on a limited budget. I agree, its time for a few treats.....enjoy and thank you for blogging about this challenge. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will miss this but I understand your reasoning.

    In a way I've been doing something similar. I'm running down my stockpile. Do I really need 52 cans of peas?

    I've learnt from and enjoyed your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are an amazing and inspiring lady! I've thoroughly enjoyed following your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.