Sunday, 20 July 2014

Cheap Wine Girl

 
Day  201
 
Money Spent Today - £0     Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £210.17    Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £269.09
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money Earned Through Sale of Food £30.50
Money left in purse  -  £21.35
 
I must be a 'cheap wine girl', we opened this bottle of Fortnum and Masons wine left over from last Christmas's hamper the other night, and although it was quite drinkable it just was not my style of wine at all and I had a thumping headache the next morning and this was after just one glass!!
 
So the rest of it was poured into my silicon cake moulds and popped into the freezer.
 

Now they are all frozen and waiting to be added to stews and casseroles to add a good depth of flavour.  It seems a shame to use such good wine to do this but it's better it gets used up somehow.
 
I always put my frozen 'wine cubes' into a strong tub as they remain quite delicate due to the fact that alcohol doesn't really freeze hard.  I have enough here now to make seven tasty stews for Lovely Hubby over the course of the Winter. 
 
Wine not wasted then :-)
 
Sue xx
 


3 comments:

  1. Very good idea.

    I have some dregs next to the cooker. Freezing them would reduce the risk of being vinegary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, I always add a splash to a beef casserole it makes it really rich and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huge bunches of parsley, chopped and frozen in ice cubes (with a drop of cold water) also saves waste and makes for easy additions and sauces later.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.