Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Shop Bought Meringues

 
Day  169
 
Money Spent Today - £0    Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £165.54  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £215.34
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £3.46
 
I was asked in an email why I bought shop bought meringues yesterday when I have my own chickens and thus lots of eggs. 
 
Well firstly at the moment we don't have lots of eggs, last week five of the girls were broody and now three different ones are.  It's a full time job trying to cool them down by taking them out of the nesting boxes and cooling off the henhouse (they go broody when both their and the outside temperature rises).  So we are just about keeping up with our regular orders.
 
Secondly, I have not been making anything that requires just egg yolks or I would have frozen some whites until I had enough to whip up a batch of meringues.
 
Thirdly and finally these were a real bargain at just £2 for two packs and as we don't eat them very often will last us for ages, thus freeing up any eggs that we do get for making something else of slightly more nutritional value.
 
Sue xx

3 comments:

  1. We always have shop bought, I personally dont think its worth the effort to make my own or the electricity, unless its the topping for lemon meringue pie. Thats a great price Sue, lovely with some home grown fruit and a generous dribble of cream :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joy of hybrid chickens is no broodyness and eggs all year round, mind you, they are much more boring to look at than your girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True .... usually ...... but Mother Goose is a hybrid and she is the broodiest chicken I have ever known!! About half of our girls are hybrids too, but some of them are our 'pensioners' and rescue girls and they lay sporadically.

      No chicken is turned away from here though, once they stop laying they actually become even friendlier and live out their retirement teaching the youngsters how to live peaceably, there's room for every generation here :-)

      Delete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.