Thursday, 5 June 2014

Salad Leaves Tip

 

Day  156
 
Money Spent Today - £0   Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £149.39  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £209.86
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £6.61
 
I have made really good use of the Cheesy Coleslaw and mixed leaves bought last week.  Two days of sandwiches already eaten and .....
 

 
... just enough left for one more tasty lunch.  :-)
 
Just in case you don't know (but I think you most likely will), if you tip all the leaves out of your bought bag and place a piece of damp kitchen roll in there, putting the leaves back in on top of it and then tightly seal the bag and store in the salad drawer of the fridge, your leaves will keep for a lot longer and I mean a lot longer.  These were going out of date when I bought them with a yellow sticker on last week and because I did this I am still eating them and they are lovely and fresh.
 
Sue xx


11 comments:

  1. That is a really good tip - its one I kind of knew about but didn't do, but I will definitely try it now!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works with all sort of salad stuff as well including full lettuces.

      In fact when I do a box of choppy salad now I put a piece of slightly damp paper towel in the box on top of the salad, and every time I go in the fridge I turn the box over, so sometimes it's on the top and sometimes on the bottom of the salad, it keeps everything moist but does not let them get soggy.

      There's nothing worse than soggy salad ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yes that is a good tip, never thought of that, thanks. Another tip.....if you buy a box of those living salad leaves the supermarkets sell for about a pound, separate them out carefully and plant them out, they will grow and spread. You can then treat them as cut and come again and you'll get tons more for your money. We did this last year, having read about it somewhere, and it worked really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it was here .....

      http://ournewlifeinthecountry.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/starting-to-run-out.html

      Lol. xx

      Delete
    2. Well there you go, Sue......I knew I'd read it somewhere probably on a blog, how apt that it was you!! Thanks again, we're going to do it again this year as it worked so well before xx

      Delete
  3. I read that header too quickly in my blogroll and thought that some salad leaves had left you a tip [money]! Good advice in that post - thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must be tired I thought how can a salad possibly leave a tip?............. some days are hard lol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard that one; very useful thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. I've stopped buying salad bags preferring little gems as they're cheaper but I might give this a go. Thanks Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard this either! But I will def be trying it

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.