Tuesday, 24 June 2014

It's Expensive Eating Meat

 
Day  175
 
Money Spent Today - £1.77   Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £15.00
Money Spent in Total - £188.02  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £230.34
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money Earned Through Sale of Food £30.50
Money left in purse  -  £17.48
 
Just a few fresh bits for the week ahead bought with one of my M&S vouchers and just a little of the cash .....  and yes, I've included a couple of packs of meat in this shop.  It seemed churlish to pay for them separately, so as the purse is quite healthy at the moment I decided to pay for them in with the Challenge money/vouchers.
 
It does highlight that it is eating meat that is the most expensive way to eat, as these three packs cost me £6 out of a total spend of £16.77.  Although these packs will last Lovely Hubby all week in sandwiches and on salads, so I'm not grumbling really .... honest ;-)
 
 
Sue xx


3 comments:

  1. I have this crazy theory that if meat were expensive and not subsidised at all ( via farming
    etc ) then people would eat less of it which would be good for their health and ultimately better for animal welfare.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more !!

      People don't realise how much their meat is subsidised by the subsidies paid to farmers, and mass produced at the expense of the animals suffering. Hopefully not too far in the future all the meat consumed by Lovely Hubby will come off our land and then at least I will know they had a good life and as smooth and dignified a death as possible. But I'll still not eat them!!

      I hate how the M62 accident involving the ex-laying chickens en-route to slaughter was hushed up, it just goes to show how sanitised our food production has become :-(

      Delete
    2. There were quite a few reports about the accident on the local news up here, including outside broadcasts from the area, where they spoke to those who were trying to rescue the birds.
      I definitely couldn't put meat or fish on the menu now, even if I wanted to. I'm shocked by the prices if I go shopping with my Mum, who eats both. If I shop on my own I bypass the meat, dairy and umpteen other aisles which means my shopping is done very quickly!

      Delete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.