Thursday, 15 May 2014

Salad Challenge

 
Day  135
 
Money Spent Today - £0   Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £123.35  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £174.60
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £10.65
 
Putting the new purchases in the fridge made me realise how much of last weeks salad stuff I still had in the drawer and it got me thinking maybe I'm not eating my fresh purchases as quickly as I should.
 
  After all fresh stuff should be just that fresh!!
 
So I've set myself a mini challenge - to eat all of this as soon as possible.  At least one meal of each day has to contain lots of these things.  Of course other things can be added to them but by the end of the week I would really like to see the salad drawer containing just the other pack of beetroot I still have and the full bunch of celery bought last week. 
 
The half bunch of celery that was chopped up into the salad box and a few stalks of which are in the little jug were actually purchased on 5th April and written about HERESo this shows I'm not eating things as fresh as they could be, although saying that it was still in lovely condition, only one stalk had gone a little yellow.
 
In the box of chopped salad are:
 
2 Orange Peppers
1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
4 stalks of Celery
2 white onions
1 Cucumber
 
.... and as you can see I also have :
 
1 Iceberg Lettuce
2 Courgettes
1 bag of Rocket Leaves
2/3 of a pack of Tomatoes
1 pack of cooked Beetroot
6 little stalks of Celery
 
Now how long will it take me to eat these up, how many meals will I get out of them and what will I be able to think up to do with them all that has lots of variety.
 
Another Challenge within a Challenge.
 
Sue xx
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. We are eating lots of salad at the moment, we're trying to get back into the habbit of having a bowl of chopped up stuff for lunch instead of cheese sandwiches, followed by fruit instead of cake.

    I know from your previous posts you love salad so I can't imagine eating the above will be a problem for you, you are also very creative with food so I am looking forward to pinching a few of your ideas.:-) Salad doesn't have to be boring does it?

    Its a gorgeous day here in Yorkshire, the sun is shining and I am going into town.....guess what for........more fresh salad!! Have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted cherry toms in cheesy risotto with rocket wilted in is lovely. If you made double the amount of risotto, the next day you could stuff the peppers with it, top with cheese and that's another meal, serve the baked stuffed peppers with a side salad.....and then there is.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started making chopped salads this year - for my first one, I used broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, celery, zucchini (courgettes) and radishes. I had it for lunches for a week, and I still had half a cauliflower and half a bunch of broccoli left over!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.