Thursday, 29 May 2014

My Google Images

 
Day  149
 
Money Spent Today - £0   Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £145.46  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £191.36
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £3.54
 
Sorry for the blurry pictures, they are my pictures but picked up from Google Images.  I was at a loss as to what picture to put up on here today, so I Googled 'Food Cupboards' for some inspiration outside of my own photos.
 
And what did I find ... yep ... my photos.
 
 
Believe it or not these were 'before' and 'after' pictures of one of my food cupboards in April last year.  To my mind now there's not much difference between the two, slightly neater yes but still uncomfortably full.
 
I feel as though I have been on a loop for years and now it's time to jump off.  The supplies have gone down in the cupboards since I started this Challenge and there were so many things that we have eaten that I will not be buying again.  Also lots things that we don't eat on a regular basis, so why have I felt the need to have them in just in case.  In future if we fancy something slightly out of the ordinary I will buy it when we need it and enjoy it and I will not rush out immediately after eating it and get some more in ready for next time.
 
I'm thinking of compiling a list of our favourite meals and seeing just how few things we really do need to hold in a stockpile on a rotating and regular basis.
 
One thing for sure this Challenge is re-educating a lot of my thinking on food, and hopefully in a good way.

Before I do anything else today I am going to have a look in the main food cupboard and after a quick tidy I will take a photo to show myself (and you) just how far things have come since the last comparison photos.
 
Sue xx

6 comments:

  1. I'm doing a similar thing Sue. I'm compiling a 2 week menu plan that works for what we eat - we eat the same things all the time. I'll probably make Saturday nights changeable to account for a different/one off meal. I'm not expecting to have a lot of room for stockpiling when we move, although I will try to have a pantry cupboard for bulk buying some items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really sensible Laura, if you think about it a stockpile can be very menu appropriate and not take up lots of space if you know exactly the foods you eat on a regular basis. That's what I'm heading for.

      Delete
  2. I inventoried my food cupboards and fridge once, and found over 50 bottles of stuff that doesn't really expire (like different kinds of mustard). It was embarrassing. Like you, I no longer buy more as soon as I run out of something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My food cupboard is very like the bottom of your two pictures. Embarassingly full of things we don't use often, some of which we don't even particularly like. Your challenge is very useful...not only for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you keep a list of the things you've decided not to buy again and why? I think I'd need that as I'd forget and a few years later end up buying the same stuff and being underwhelmed all over again. I was just talking to a friend last night about how easy it is to get into a food rut and not try out new things and it struck me that actually, it's just as easy for me to forget about things I really do like but that I stopped making because I was feeling in a rut. And of course my first thought when trying to figure out how to fix a problem is "make a list!". Now I must go and root out that tuna and broccoli bake that last night's conversation led me to remembering. I used to love it and it's probably more than ten years since I made it. I can't even remember the last time I bought broccoli at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have had a list for a couple of months containing items that I currently had in cupboard that I would not/should not buy regularly in an attempt to get out of the habbit of 'having in the cupboard for when I run out'. Our motorhome has a good amount of storage space considering but like any cupboards, it is not always easy to see what is at the back of the cupboard. Although it goes against the grain, I do now believe that some things should be bought in smaller quantities as and when needed. In the last month or so I have actually crossed off quite a few things from the list, and have even thrown away a couple of jars that had gone out of date. I do still have a way to go though, I am really struggling not to buy some 'budget' rice in addition to our normal basmati as it is so much cheaper, trouble is without throwing something else out I do not have enough room at present.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.