Thursday, 22 May 2014

Live Below the Line Leftovers

 
Day  142
 
Money Spent Today - £0   Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £132.90  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £176.06
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £9.10
 
It may not look like the prettiest plate full of food, but this was delicious :-)
 
Homemade coleslaw using half of my Iceberg Lettuce , one of the carrots and one finely sliced white onion and a couple of tablespoons of the Mayo I had left over from Live Below the Line week, along with two pieces of homemade cheesy garlic bread.
 
It got me thinking while I was using the Mayo, even though I only had five pounds to spend on food for the week I still ended it with some food left in my cupboard ....
 
 
... not a lot admittedly ....

 
... but some.
 
What if that had been my Challenge for this year, ..... to move forward every five days (or seven days) only having access to what I had previously built in my storecupboard from the initial five days and not as I have done it with cupboards and freezers full of food.
 
It would have been a lot more challenging for sure, and maybe even more interesting.  I wonder what I would have bought the second week? 
 
Thinking very quickly as I type, I think it would have been a bag of value pasta, some bananas a couple of tins of tomatoes and a bag of onions.  I think what I would aim to do each week would be to buy at least one quantity of things that wouldn't run out.  So that by the end of the second week I would then have had rice, pasta and onions in store and the following week I could have added something else.  A storecupboard would quickly build even on that limited amount for one person.
 
A challenge worth thinking about for sure!!
 
Sue xx

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing the challenge now over at http://frugalwench.blogspot.co.uk/ I'm definitely going to have some rice left over...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.