Saturday, 3 May 2014

Freezing Cheese

 
 Day  123
 
Money Spent Today - £0   Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £111.12  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £174.60
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £11.88
 
I've frozen cheese for years now, usually grated as it's so much easier to use it straight from the freezer that way, but occasionally when needs must I have simply chucked a brick of cheese into the freezer to save it going off.  I rarely just buy a block and keep it in the fridge, that way is seems to vanish so fast, grated and then frozen it goes so much further and lasts ages.  Anyway I hate washing graters or the food processor grater attachments so it makes good sense to have a mammoth grating session and only have to wash up the once.
 
But I suddenly realised that I'd never frozen Feta cheese before, so I thought I'd give it a try ages ago, I think it was just after Christmas.  It goes a strange colour when it freezes and I thought I'd ruined it when I got it out the other day, but on thawing out the cubes in the picture above along with the Red Leicester slowly turned back to that lovely crumbly white cheese that I know and love.  You'd never know it had been frozen.
 
 
And they went into this quiche, made with one of the bought pastry cases from a couple of weeks ago and half of a bunch of Spring Onions that my neighbour gave me the other day, which tasted absolutely wonderful.
 
I had half of it the other night for my tea and the other half is tucked back in the freezer waiting to join me on a journey down south to be eaten at the services with a cup of coffee to break my journey.  A third would have been better but I had cut it into four, I ate a quarter and then went back for another slice, greedy I know but yummy!!
 
 
This was my cheeses waiting to be frozen back in January and now all that is left of them is about a third of the grated Red Leicester and a few more Feta cheese cubes, although these have just been joined by almost a full block that Mum gave me, as she bought it to make me a meal on my last visit and doesn't eat cheese herself, so I got the rest of the block to come home with :-)
 
Buying a block of cheese will be a big chunk of my available money, or maybe I should do a Nectar Points shop in the next week or so and really stock myself up again.
 
Time to make a list I think and see what I need that I can get with my points.
 
Sue xx

1 comment:

  1. I think I am going to start doing the same, as the supermarket cheese seems to go mouldy quickly, I am fed up of wasting it.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.