Tuesday, 27 May 2014

End of the Salad Challenge

 
 Day  147
 
Money Spent Today - £0  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £141.46  Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £191.36
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £5.54
 
As I said at the end of the last post on Saturday we had a meal of Mediterranean Veggies, with Cous Cous and Salmon, sorry I completely forgot to take a photo, and that should have been the end of the Courgettes which were the last surviving vegetables from the initial contents of the salad drawer when this 'Challenge within a Challenge' started.
 
But ..... as you can see from the picture above there were leftovers!!
 
 
So yesterday I made a quiche, by chopping them up a bit smaller and adding a few cubes of Feta from the freezer , a couple of our eggs and pouring the whole lot into a ready made pastry case and finishing off with a sprinkle of Parmesan style cheese and grated Cheddar.  It was delicious!!
 
We had a third each with some of the fresh salad things ought at the end of last week and Lovely Hubby had some slices of ham with his.
 
And that left one third .... so that will be my tea tonight.
 
 
I'm amazed at how well this little lot lasted me and how many meals I managed to get out of it.  No wonder my food supplies are going down so slowly if this lot can last me well over a week.
 
I started the Salad Challenge on Friday 16th and over the course of the eleven days that the Salad has lasted me I have made -
 
2 Celery Snacks
1 Plain Choppy Salad
2 portions Cheese on Toast with the Tomatoes on top
Plain Coleslaw
6 portions of Choppy Salad and Leaves either on Buns or Bread
4 portions of Pasta Salad
2 portions Nutty Cheesy Coleslaw
2 portions of Mediterranean Veggies
3 portions of Quiche.
 
So a grand total of 23 different meals that contained either one or more of the salad items from the above picture.
 
Once I have eaten my slice of quiche today there is nothing left of this salad, and the drawer in the fridge is now simply home to the last few bits of this weekend salad shopping.   BUT ......I still have the bunch of Celery and the four Leeks I bought way back on the 7th May ....  now what should I do with them?
 
Sue xx


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love that you get a good mix of vegetables but not sure you are getting enough, i.e. if 80 gr of vegetable is one portion (5 a day) you should eat about 400 gr of vegetables per day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat plenty of vegetables and some fruit. Obviously it's not all mentioned on here. This was a specific Challenge using up salad in the one drawer of the fridge. Alongside it we were eating vegetables from the freezer and other salad items whose purchases were documented since and also meals eaten out which contained lots of vegetables and salad items.

      I eat the vegetable I want to eat and someone (ie the Government) who plucks these figures out of misguided reports to suit themselves will not tell me what I am supposed to eat. I know if I am healthy and I know the things that suit me and that is what I will eat.

      I do have a small appetite, and find that if I pile the plate high with food I would not be able to eat ANY of it, so sometimes portions may look small but they do lead to occasional seconds if I am still hungry.

      So in short I thank you for your concern, but it is totally unwarranted :-)

      Delete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.