Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Storage

 
 
Day  112
 
Money Spent Today - £0   Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £103.12 Vouchers/Points/Credits Spent in Total - £174.60
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £8.88
 
I've been asked how I manage to make the fresh foods I buy last so long.  Well the answer is simply good storage.
 
I have a nice cool, dark cupboard that I've found is brilliant for potatoes, onions and garlic.  I have the cupboard next to the Aga for dried foodstuffs so I know they will be kept completely dry and I have the drawers in the fridge for vegetables and fruit.
 
I make sure that I use the drawers in the fridge for fruit and veggies and wherever possible keep them in their original wrappings as well.  If I open something like a lettuce and the bag it's in splits or tears whilst opening (I curse these wrappings with that machine turned 'belly button' of  cellophane that is totally unusable once you struggle to free your lettuce) then I will transfer it to a 'stay fresh' bag bought from Lakeland years ago and used and re-used over and over again.
 
If all these bags are in use I will use a normal plastic bag but I put the lettuce (or other leaves) on a square of kitchen paper which absorbs any excess moisture and feeds it back to the leaves as and when they need it thus keeping them fresh for days.
 
It's all common sense really, keeping things that should be moist just moist enough and keeping things that should be dry as dry as you possibly can, and of course the best way to get the most from your stored foods is to keep your eyes on them, as soon as something looks like it is passing its best use it up .... or if you can't use it immediately change the method of storage. 
 
So if for instance your potatoes are looking older and slightly less appetising, cut them into wedges, blanch them very briefly and then pop them in the freezer ready to be used when you fancy some 'oven chips'.
 
Just don't waste food.
 
Sue xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.