Tuesday, 15 April 2014

Shopping for Live Below the Line

 
 
Day  105
 
Money Spent Today - £5  Vouchers/Points Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £97.86   Vouchers/Points Spent in Total - £135.85
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £7.14
 
Well I spent a whole five pounds, but it's on food to last me through a full five days while I do the Live Below the Line Challenge.
 
This year the Challenge runs from 28th April until 2nd May, but I am actually doing it this week so that I can post about the foods I eat on the actual five days of the challenge without having to play catch up or post in the evenings.  I was going to do the actual cooking and eating the week before everyone else but we have a houseguest all through next week and Easter weekend and my birthday to celebrate and I didn't want to be stuck in the office for too long each day.
 
I've also been asked to publicise it a bit on my other Blog to try to inspire a few more to join in and help us raise money for the worthwhile causes that this wonderful Challenge supports and doing things ahead of time will help me to do this.
 
As the money has to come out of my food budget it has now left me with the lowest amount of money I have had in my purse for ages - not good.  Of course the up side is that while I am living on the pound a day my purse will fill back up at the same level.
 
To find out more about Live Below the Line for yourself click on this link - https://www.livebelowtheline.com/uk
 
Sue xx


5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what imaginative meals you are going to create. Have you worked out the calories and nutrition for the 5 days?
    Wishing you well and lots of support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't bother counting calories ever!! I haven't actually worked out the nutrition, but then I never work out exact nutrition, I consider that as long as you eat a balanced diet things will be fine.

      If you look at what I have ... there is protein in ALL foods but especially so in the peanut butter and eggs, I have the mixed veggies and onion, and some fruit in the tinned peaches, but I'm not a huge fruit lover so that will be plenty for me. And of course there are lots of carbs in the bread, pasta and rice. My only source of fat is the Mayo, which will be added to some of the main meals. So all in all I think it's quite well balanced considering the outlay.

      The only thing I will really miss for the week is salady things, a bit of crunchy lettuce is wonderful in my opinion :-(

      Delete
  2. I made a lovely soup yesterday from half a bag of Smart Price mixed veg, an onion, a bit of garlic and some stock ( Basics stock cube). Four of us had a generous portion each for lunch and there's 2 portions left. It cost around 52p in total, so less than 9p per portion.
    I know you don't have the stock cube or garlic, but I thought I'd mention it for anyone reading who wants/ needs to eat well but cheaply.
    The good thing about the mixed veg is that it cooks quickly, which saves on fuel costs when making the soup. My younger daughter is a student and she said it will be another thing to add to her growing repertoire of cooked from scratch meals - one of her tutors was shocked that she cooks for herself rather than lives on potnoodles and takeaways. She spends between £5 and £10 per week on food because she cooks for herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A brilliant idea for using the veggies up if there are any over, all the chopping is already done for you with a bag of these and as you say they will cook so quickly. Your daughter sounds like she has a very sensible head on her shoulders.

      Delete
  3. Good luck Sue! Looking forward to seeing what meals you make :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.