Thursday, 13 March 2014

Cooking Rice

 
Day  72
 
Money Spent Today - £0 Vouchers/Points Spent - £0 
Money Spent in Total - £45.72 Vouchers/Points Spent in Total - £90.45
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £26.28
 
The other day I mentioned cooking my rice in the oven and flummoxed a few of you. 
 
I bought this book years ago when I had my first Aga in our rented farmhouse, and after going to a friends for supper and having the most gorgeous fluffy rice that she whipped out of the Aga and served straight to the table without even taking the lid off to see if it was ready, she just trusted her recipe completely and quite rightly so.
 
So now I have returned to this tried and trusted method and it really is the best way to get nice fluffy rice without having the hotplate lid open for any length of time and risking the pan boiling over.  It is really easy and if you play around with your own oven temperature with whatever kind of oven you have I can't really see a reason why it wouldn't work.  But to make it financially sensible it would have to be while something else is in the oven at the same time.
 
So if you were slowly cooking a stew or a curry that would be fine.  I guess the simmering oven of the Aga is about Gas Mark 3 or the equivalent in electric, it's funny how I always think in terms of gas temperatures when I haven't had a gas oven for over ten years!!

 
If you click on the picture it should enlarge enough for you to be able to read it comfortably.  But basically you put 235g rice, 370ml water and a teaspoon of salt in a pan bring it up to boil, stir it once, put the lid on and place in the oven for 18-20 minutes. 
 
After this time take the pan out of the oven give the rice a fluff up with a fork and it's ready to eat OR put the lid back on and stand your pan somewhere warm (I leave it on the edge of the Aga) your rice will keep perfectly in this state for up to half an hour.
 
Brilliant and SO easy.  But I still like to have a couple of the microwave packs in the cupboard if possible and do get tempted to buy them if they are as cheap as the ones I got the other day.  Some fast foods ARE worth having to hand, and I don't even mind paying the extra after seeing what they have to do to be able to produce these packs of good wholesome carbs.
 
Sue xx

2 comments:

  1. I use a similar method but on the stove top. Measure the rice and wash it under the cold tap, put into a pan with a close fitting lid and enough water to cover the rice and a pinch of salt. Put the pan on the heat and when it is boiling give it a stir and then put out the gas, replace the lid and leave for 12 minutes. If there is still water that has not been absorbed leave it a few minutes. longer rinse with boiling water and serve. I often cook rice ahead and then re-heat it in the microwave for 4 minutes on high to make sure there is nothing evil lurking in it. Hot fluffy rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sue, I've bookmarked this so I can try it next time I make slow cooked rogan josh :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.