Friday, 28 March 2014

Coffee and the 100g Saga

 
 
Day  87
 
Money Spent Today - £0 Vouchers/Points Spent - £0
Money Spent in Total - £61.94   Vouchers/Points Spent in Total - £134.45
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £25.06
 
Well I've used all my current stash of M&S vouchers, the T*sco Clubcard vouchers are all gone and all that's left are some Nectar points.  I think I have just over £40 worth available at the moment.  These build quite quickly with LH travelling so much as every full tank of fuel adds nicely to the total.  I've been saving them carefully and letting them build as I knew this day would come. 
 
I am down to my last jar of coffee !!
 
 
Now I have to work out which is the best way to buy it. 
 
 Sometimes these great big tubs are the best value and sometimes it's the smaller jars when they are on special offer.  Over at mysupermarket.com which I use a lot to check on prices (and where I picked up these pictures of coffee) it tells me that currently in Sainsbury's the 300g jar is on offer at £4.99 which works out at £1.66 per 100g, cheaper even that the so called 'money saving' refill which is working out at £2.45 per 100g.
 
I always, always, always check out the price per 100g before buying something.  It used to be that the bigger pack of something would always be the cheapest way to buy but now with the wiles and the trickery of the supermarkets trying to part us with our pennies by hook or by crook this is not always the case.  It really does pay to take a little time to stand and do the maths while you are out and about food shopping.
 
This was really driven home to me while I was using mysupermarket.com to see what I would be able to afford to buy if I do decide to do the Live Below the Line fundraising Challenge this year and although some basic lines seemed cheaper at certain supermarkets their pack sizes were much smaller than their rivals, and when you are trying to keep yourself completely fed with only £5 for five whole days it really does pay to get as much volume of food as you can with that money.
 
Sue xx

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have a Poundland near you? Sometimes they have Nescafe coffee (however I don't know the weight of the jars so this is possibly not very helpful!!) Love your blog by the way - very inspiring, particularly the way you really utilise the freezer - something I'm starting to get better at, partly thanks to you. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean - up until a few months ago, it was cheaper to buy 2 of the medium box of co-op teabags, than the large with double that in. And cheaper to buy a medium as opposed to 2 small. You have to be as canny as they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, it would never do to run out of coffee! Do you have the price per 100g marked on the supermarket shelves? We do in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to recommend the Approved Food very large bags of Kenco decaf which I bought LOADS of when they had it, as it what I usually use and it was very cheap in comparison to a supermarket. But having just checked their site, they have now run out, so that's no good then.
    I do agree with the check the price per 100g thing, the blighters are damn tricky with their pricing, constantly trying to pull the wool over, you really have to have your wits about you

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.