Friday, 14 March 2014

Blanching Carrots

 
Day  73
 
Money Spent Today - £0 Vouchers/Points Spent - £0 
Money Spent in Total - £45.72 Vouchers/Points Spent in Total - £90.45
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £27.28
 
I am going to be really strict with myself over the next couple of weeks and stop buying anything that isn't strictly necessary. 
 
I bought a bag of carrots last week and they have sat in the fridge not touched since then.  I can't even remember what was on my mind to do with them when I bought them.  So this morning I set to and prepared them for the freezer
 

 
I don't always blanch fruit and vegetables before I freeze them but I thought I would this time as I want to compare which method is actually best.  I have a bag of un-blanched and frozen carrots in the freezer already (another reason why I shouldn't have bought these!!).

 
So after a good scrub, a slicing and then bubbling away in boiling slightly salted water for about three minutes, they were tipped into cold water in the sink and then a colander.  Once they were thoroughly drained they were patted a bit drier on a clean tea towel and then placed into my new open freezing trays in a single layer.   Do you recognise the plastic trays the fish portions came in last week (see HERE).

 
They might not stack as well as my others but they do a brilliant job.  I will give the trays a shake after about an hour or so in the freezer to make sure that none of the slices are sticking together, and then I will have free flowing carrot slices to bag up and use whenever I need them.
 
 
And in the interests of wasting NOTHING I am using the blanching water to make a pan full of soup for lunch, well I mean it's blanched three lots of carrots and there are lots of tiny carroty bits floating around in it as well as lots of the lovely vitamins that I would lose if I threw it away. 
 
I simply added one carrot, half an onion, a handful of red lentils and a tablespoon of vegetable bouillon mix, it's now in the bottom oven of the Aga simmering away nicely and making the kitchen smell gorgeous.
 
Sue xx
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.