Wednesday, 12 February 2014

Using Up All the Leftovers

Day  43 
Money Spent Today - £0 Vouchers Spent - £0   
Money Spent in Total - £15.44   Vouchers Spent in Total - £5
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £27.56

I don't know what your fridges look like but usually by the end of the week but mine is usually full of little plastic containers, half used packets and just lots of bits and bobs.

So I always like to take the 'bits and bobs' and make something as tasty as possible out of them.  This week after having to thaw out a full pack of beef burgers (see yesterdays post for the reason why), I started with a couple of larger than usual items to turn into another meal.


I could have just warmed them through thoroughly and served them in a bun again but where's the fun in that, so I decided to use one of the packs of my 'bargain pastry'.  I got together all the plastic tubs out of the fridge, the third of a pack of rice, half an onion and some grated cheese from the box in the freezer and mixed a chopped up burger in with half of the 'bits and bobs' and simply extra cheese with the other half for me, mixing in the tubs to save on more washing up.


I cut a narrow end off the pastry and re-wrapped it and popped it back into the fridge, I have a plan for that ...


.. and then rolled the rest slightly thinner before dividing it into 'big half/little half' and placed the mixes on top.  

Is it my imagination or do the fillings of these pasties look like they're holding hands!!


I brushed half of the edges with an egg wash and then folded the top snuggly over the filling and then turned up the edges and crimped with my fingers.


This picture shows you how I do it, rather than just letting the edges meet if you have a lot of filling this way seems to stop as much filling leaking out in the oven.


They we're very filling served with some of the Mixed Leaves.  Lovely Hubby loved his, but to be honest mine tasted a bit 'ricey' so next time I need to add a dollop of chutney or something spicy to give it more flavour.  But you live and learn, and at least using leftovers you never get exactly the same meal twice.

And the final burger ... well we had three very happy little doggies after their tea that night :-)

Sue xx



1 comment:

  1. I made a nice (almost) vege curry last night for myself with odd bits of 'lurking' vegetables. Hubby likes meat, so had the odd two sausages out of a pack of 6, I used the last of the ready made curry sauce, added the sliver of leftover gammon offcuts, little more spice/powder and dollop of passata which made a huge curry - now I have a portion to eat up for lunch today! It must have cost pence to make, but to me cost nothing because I used up the bits I had in the fridge. Those pasties look lovely though. X

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.