Monday, 3 February 2014

Using the Peppers

 
 
Day 34
 
Money Spent Today - £0 Vouchers Spent - £0   
Money Spent in Total - £11.01    Vouchers Spent in Total - £5
Money left in purse  - £22.99 
 
Here's what I decided to do with my peppers.  I added them chopped to the last of the celery and cucumber from the fridge.  Along with a chopped red onion from the cupboard it made a large bowl of what we call 'choppy salad'.  It sits happily in the fridge for a few days with the lid on and can be dipped into to add to any meal that is lacking in crunchy goodness or colour.
 
I sometimes take out a tablespoon or two of the 'choppy salad' and chop it even finer, add some grated cheese and mayonnaise and there you have it - salad spread to go on a sandwich.  I simply have it as it is and I usually add a slice of ham or chicken for Lovely Hubby.  Filling, very fresh tasting and lovely and crunchy.
 
 
So out of the bowlful of salad pictured above, made with the three peppers, celery, cucumber and onion, I managed to get two portions as salad vegetables on a bed of shredded lettuce to go with the Homity Pies from the freezer, two portions as sandwich filler on a couple of the buns bought last week, then I cooked some rice and added that to the choppy salad with a large dollop of mayonnaise and we had two portions of rice salad which was served with fish one night, and finally two half portions of the rice salad served with a homemade Caesar dressing coleslaw last night with Garlic Kievs for LH and Quorn fillet for me.
 
So a total of eight meals using this basic choppy salad as an accompaniment.  Not bad going for three reduced priced peppers and the last of the salad veggies from my purchases of 22nd January.
 
Basic Recipe
 
Peppers
Cucumber
Celery
Onion
Any other salad veggies that need using up
 
Chop to a consistent size, store in a covered container in the fridge.
Use as it is as an accompaniment to a meal, or add rice or pasta to make a complete salad.
Chop more finely and add mayo or salad dressing to use as a sandwich filler.
 
On the side bar I have now included a list of 'Labels'.
  At the moment these include Shopping, Recipes, Live Below the Line and Roundup.  You can use these to find the posts that include what they say, for instance if you want to read all the Blog posts about the shopping you can just click on the 'Shopping' title in the list and all the posts will appear for you in (hopefully) date order.  Of course you can also still use the search box in the top left hand corner of the Blog for anything more specific.
 
Sue xx


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. I'm rubbish with eating and often eat at my desk through boredom ( not lack of work!) this would be a healthy snack and stave off the cravings! :)
    Ps love your Shed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad looks so fresh and tasty and easy to reach for in the fridge instead of something less healthy. I like the way you mixed it with other things to vary it through the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just my kind of thing! Bright, colourful and crunchy, perfect freshness for a dreary day pick me up. Lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks yummy and it's a good idea to have it ready to eat in the fridge. I tend to grab salad items to eat if they're prepared - helps my diet! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.