Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Using Every Scrap of Lettuce

 
Day 36
 
Money Spent Today - £0 Vouchers Spent - £0   
Money Spent in Total - £11.01    Vouchers Spent in Total - £5
Money left in purse  - £24.99
 
The craving for the iceberg lettuce that I had last week and my subsequent purchasing of one has worked a treat.  It really lifted the foods I had been eating to have some lovely fresh salads.  It also meant that I used up the last of the things that had lurked in the salad drawer.  A pack of beetroot past it's sell by date but still perfectly edible, and a sad half bunch of celery.  Added to the new cucumber and lettuce and the vibrant new red onions it meant we could have some lovely zingy salads.
 
 
With the outer leaves used from the lettuce on the salad in the top picture and on a sandwich a day earlier there was just the middle third of it left.  I was going to use it all to make a coleslaw but on shredding half of it and knowing that we had the last of the choppy rice salad to eat too I saved the other half.

 
One grated carrot, a large handful of lettuce, half a finely sliced red onion and a good drizzle of Caesar salad dressing from the fridge made for a wonderful simple coleslaw.  If you do make coleslaw out of lettuce and not the more usual cabbage make sure you only add the dressing just before you want to eat it as it goes soggy very quickly if left.
 
Now I just have to think of what to do with the very final bit of lettuce and the single carrot left in the fridge drawer.
 
Sue xx

1 comment:

  1. You are doing soooo wonderfully with using up all the bits and parts in your 365 challenge! I'm inspired daily by your efforts, alnd altho I live alone( with a feisty black cat call Ebony) I am trying to waste nothing and use ALL of whatever it is. My mom used to make a "depresssion era" salad of shredded lettuce, grated carrot and a can of drained green beans. The dressing was a simple mayo with s & p and a dash of sugar for dressing. It's a salad I still make for myelf with memories of my childhood home floating around me. Thanks for another great post! Hugs, Finn XXX

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.