Monday, 10 February 2014

Two Days Money

 
Day  41  
Money Spent Today - £2.10 Vouchers Spent - £0   
Money Spent in Total - £15.44   Vouchers Spent in Total - £5
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £25.56
 
I was out browsing round good old M&S the other day and couldn't resist a peek in the food department to see if there were any bargains .... a dangerous thing to do when you're feeling peckish!!
 
I spied these two and immediately had to have them, it was only on unpacking them when I got home that I started to think, yes they had been reduced, yes they are lovely products but if this challenge was about feeding myself for just a single pound on any given day I would have failed miserably.
 
Two items, that okay would make two tasty meals, do not two days worth of food make.
 
I had just blown what is in reality two days money on two 'sides'.
 
It's a good job that the Challenge is not about actually living on just £1 per day, but living on £365 over the course of the year!! 
 
 
Luckily we really enjoyed them in two different meals, the Cheesy Coleslaw went on buns with that last sliver of Iceberg lettuce from the fridge and some sliced ham for Lovely Hubby, and the Baby Leaf Salad was eaten with half a sliced white onion and a drizzle of French Dressing with our homemade 'Leftover Pasties' last night, and made a very nice change from cooked vegetables.
 
 
I was a little bit more savvy with a bacon bargain that I found for Lovely Hubby's meat stash for the freezer. 
 
Three packs of fourteen rashers of bacon, packed into 2 x 7 rashers, for £10.  Now separated into the six packs that they came in and tucked into the freezer, that's enough bacon for the next six weekends breakfasts.  As you can see I am trying to get into the habit of pricing things out and writing their prices on the packs, so I can work out approximate costings for the meals we have if the mood takes me.  So these individual packs cost me £1.67 each or approximately 24p per rasher. It also it means I notice more when the prices of things shoot up or, on the very odd occasion, drop down.
 
Writing anything down really fixes it in the mind.
 
I must not spend more than two days money on frivolous items.
I must not spend more than two days money on frivolous items.
I must not spend more than two days money on frivolous items.
I must not spend more than two days money on frivolous items.
I must not spend more than two days money on frivolous items.
I must not spend more than two days money on frivolous items.
I must not spend more than two days money on frivolous items.
 
Sue xx
 


2 comments:

  1. You might feel like you have blown 2 days money on your salady bits but it puts it more into perspective when you think about all the free salad you will be growing soon. The only time to feel bad about it is if it gets wasted..and thats never going to happen...enjoy! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration Sue - don't beat yourself up!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.