Sunday, 16 February 2014

Homemade Bread


Day  47
 
Money Spent Today - £0 Vouchers Spent - £0   
Money Spent in Total - £23.74  Vouchers Spent in Total - £5
Emergency £5 Spent on Butter
Money left in purse  - £23.26
 
One of the mainstays of my baking at home is bread, homemade bread. I've been making on average two loaves a week since I started the Challenge, luckily I really stocked up early last year and I still have quite a stash of flours and yeast to work through.  It's a real treat on the day it's baked and then as toast for breakfasts or a quick snack.
 

 
I've been topping it with all sorts of interesting things recently but my favourite has to be this mixed seed topping which I've had the last few times.
 
 
Simply a mix of a couple of table spoons each of Sunflower, Pumpkin, Sesame and Poppy seeds all mixed together in a jar ready for use.  Next time I make a loaf I think I'll put some into the bowl as I'm making it for even more crunch and goodness throughout the loaf.
 
My Standard Bread Recipe
 
500g Mixed Flours
7g Yeast
1tsp Sugar
1.5 tsp Salt
400ml warm water
2 tbs oil
 
Mix all the dry ingredients, drizzle in the oil as you pour in the water, watching to see if you need all the water or not. 
 
Let your mixer knead the bread for a full five minutes with the dough attachment on and then tip out and hand knead for a couple of minutes, put back into the bowl and cover.  Leave to rise for as long as it takes to double in size. 
 
Knead again just for a minute or two and then shape into rolls or pop into a 2lb loaf tin.  Cover and leave to rise again for about 30 minutes and then carefully brush the top with egg wash or milk and sprinkle on your seeds or some oats.  Bake on a high temperature for ten minutes and then reduce slightly for another 20 -25.
 
Knock on the bottom as you take it out of the oven, if it sounds hollow it is cooked.
 
See how long you can resist eating some of the lovely warm bread - that's the hardest part :-)
 
Sue xx. 
 

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing to compare with fresh baked bread, whatever the kind, seeded, wholemeal, fruity or savoury they are simply delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I like to add chopped nuts and dried fruits too! Bread is on my list for today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baking! Since we switched to a gluten free diet I've been "re-learning" to bake. The loaves aren't as inexpensive as a wheat based bread, but still far more frugal to make at home....and they definitely taste better.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.