Saturday, 18 January 2014

Spending and Comparison

 
Money Spent - £1.50    Money left in purse £16.50
 
I was tempted to spend !!

I guess I was carried away by the success of my little 'Homity Pies' and scrappy biscuits and thought of all the leftovers I could encase in pastry.
 

I'd gone to Sainsbugs for a couple of bags of our doggies favourite food that was on offer there and also to get a receipt to check what Nectar points I have available (the good news is over £65 worth .. insert happy, happy face).  As I got there a very nice young man was busy filling up the Reduced Price Yellow Sticker shelves with all sorts of goodies.  I could have gone mad but instead I was very restrained and picked up some Chicken Kievs, some flavoured Sausages and some Chicken Goujons for Lovely Hubby ...
 

 
... all of which are now frozen individually (so they can be removed in whatever sized portions a meal or an appetite requires), re-packaged and living happily in the freezer.  A total spend there outside my £1 a day budget of  £6.17 which for a total of at least six meals worth of meat works out an average of just over a pound per meal for the meat part, not bad at all  :-)
 
As I said I as tempted to buy  .... I bought the ready rolled pastry packs shown in the top picture and this does come out of my £1 per day budget.  I was very happy with my purchase until I got home and popped them in the freezer, then I started to have my doubts.  I have a total of 820g of pastry in the two packs.

 
If I'd bought a bag of flour (65p) ...
 
 
... a block of baking margarine (60p) ...

 
and a block of baking vegetable fat (75p)
( I like to use a mix of these fats in my homemade pastry)
 
It would have cost me in the same shop £2.  So that would have been a dry weight of pastry of 2kg before I added the water, then heaven knows what it would have weighed, I know for a fact a lot more than 640g.
 
So I have paid for convenience.  Now I have some questions ...
 
 Was it a good spend? 
 
Should I splash out on the three items above and see just how much ready rolled pastry I can put in the freezer from them to stop me being tempted again?
 
Have any of you ever done that?
 
What would you have done - bought ready rolled for convenience or flour and fats for quantity?
 
To claw back a little bit of value I have registered for the offer on the boxes, you simply register, type in the codes on your packs of pastry and can claim baking goodies with your points (you get 20 per packet of pastry).  It seems I already qualify for a free pastry brush!!
 
Sue xx
 


20 comments:

  1. I'd probably go for the convenience of the reduced price ready made pastry if I'm honest, as I'm not a great baker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I make shortcrust pastry, I usually make double the quantity I need, then wrap and freeze the surplus. But if I see puff pastry on offer/reduced in the supermarket, then I'll buy and freeze that (who in their right minds makes puff pastry?!). So I've nearly always got some sort of pastry in the freezer for when I need it....it's just a case of remembering to take it out to defrost a couple of hours before I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't love making pastry so i would have gone for the ready made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm enjoying your blog - I came over from No More Spending. I especially like the photos of your existing food inventory - I thought I was the only person with 50+ bottles of condiments! Anyway, we don't do pastry at our house - we use tea biscuit dough for everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ... what is 'tea biscuit dough' you have me wondering (and fascinated).

      Delete
    2. I was trying to think of what you'd call it in the UK - like a scone made with baking powder, and not sweet? I use a recipe like this but using an egg for part of the milk: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tea-biscuits/

      Delete
    3. Aha ..... Scone Mix.

      I do use this for Scones (obviously) and as a pizza crust on occasion, and we use little scones to top a casserole and call it a Cobbler, but I have never thought to use it as a pastry. I guess it would have the taste and consistency of a Suet Pastry which I do use, I have a huge bag of mix somewhere.

      Delete
  5. My Sainsbury's never seems to have such good reductions, so well done to you for this frugal shop! As for the pastry - I think the ready made reduced price offer was the way to go, less mess and more time to be creative with your fillings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But .. another question .. do you need another pastry brush? .. or is that just gathering more stuff? .. if you're like me .. my head goes round and around with questions .. we can only try what we think is the best potion at the time.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ...I only said I qualified for it not that I was getting it, I'll see if I get any more points before the offer runs out if not, I'll get it for the sake of getting it (there's no cost involved for me) and give it to someone who needs it.

      Delete
  7. I go for convience...I tell myself I SHOULD be making it from scratch, but time is always a factor....especially when it come to crusts for pies. Don't beat yourself over...it is what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind making small amounts of shortcrust pastry as and when I need it. I can rub the fat into the flour in less time than it would take me to trudge out to the shed and find it in the freezer. Cost is a major factor for me too - AND my homemade pastry is nicer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the past when money was plentiful I'd have gone for convenience, but now when money is tight, and especially since I am attempting this challenge, I'd most certainly go for the cheaper option, particularly if I had a food processor to do the work for me.
    Every penny counts in my attempt to make the money stretch, and I don't have any Sainsbury or Tesco points sadly, but I DO have a mammoth stockpile of food [ I am an Approved Food addict :-( ] and one of my reasons for trying this challenge is to try and reduce the stockpile to manageable proportions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you Blogging about it?

      I can't seem to link to you. Starting a Blog would be brilliant, we could link to each other and spur each other on ..... AND I want (no I NEED) to see your over packed cupboards .....you've seen mine :-)

      Delete
  10. Well you know which option I would choose...the easy one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To be a true comparison you should factor in the cost of some greaseproof paper and a large ziploc bag. I never get around to doing it for myself but every time I visit my sister she asks me to make pastry for her. I do a few large batches, roll them out to the right size for her quiche pans, then roll the pastry up in greaseproof paper and but each roll into a big ziploc bag. So she has my nice-tasting pastry plus the convenience of ready-rolled. Making pastry doesn't take long - to me it's the rolling out and then cleaning up that gives me pause when contemplating if I want to do it or not. So condensing all that rolling out and cleaning up into one session is much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi If you have the talent and time to make your own I can see why you are kicking yourself but like others I still think it's a great price and since we have some the same in the freezer I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

    You are doing so well.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been making pastry since I was in single digits, so it's something I can do on automatic. It is also even easier since I discovered making pastry with oil, have you tried that? http://wp.me/p3MXF5-1H it's just a bit of stirring, and the oil makes it super cheap, although you do still need to do the rolling out and clearing up, so if you find that a faff, wouldn't save you much

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to be honest here, although I love the convenience of ready made pastry I almost always make my own shortcrust. Firstly because it is cheaper, and secondly, because I can make small quantities as I need them (only having an ice box to keep pastry is a bit of a luxury). However, I always buy puff pastry for the tops of my meat pies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first question would be 'taste?' Is the ready made as good, and as good for you as what you make yourself? I have health issues with chemicals and must always watch out for additives. so I make my own.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.