Friday, 24 January 2014

Red Onion Inspires Tomato Sauce

 
Day 24
 
Money Spent Today - £0  Vouchers Spent - £0   
Money Spent in Total - £4.89    Vouchers Spent in Total - £5
Money left in purse  - £19.11
 
The veggie bag was looking very sparse before my shopping trip armed with vouchers the other day.  As I peered into it for inspiration the red onion glowed out at me (or was that glared out at me in disgust at it's abandonment). 
 
It was in amazing condition.  Bought between Christmas and New Year and plonked in there and forgotten about it would have served me right to find it soggy round the edges, but obviously the cupboard I chose for my veggie bag is the right one.  Very dry and with a smidge of ventilation from where the Aga flue pipe runs to the outside of the house and Lovely Hubby hasn't quite gotten round to cementing around it.
 
 
 
I decided this onion and the peppers and some of the celery that I found lurking in the fridge before the shopping trip would be the basis of a rich tomato sauce to bottle up.  The carton of chopped tomatoes were purchased as a case full from Approved Foods and have stood me in good stead, I think I have about another half dozen tucked in the cupboard for future use.
 
I gathered together some suitable flavourings to add to my veggies and tomatoes deciding on some Garlic Puree in a tube, some dried Chilli Flakes and a full tin of Tomato Puree.  I wanted richness and full flavour then this sauce could be the base for so many different things.
 
I brought it all to the boil and then placed it in the bottom oven of the Aga to cook long and slow and then after three or so hours it was whizzed to a smooth-ish consistency.
 
It's cooling in jars as I type ready for labelling when they are cool enough.
 
I'll get a picture once the labels are on.
 
Sue xx

3 comments:

  1. How are you liking your Aga? Would love to have one, but it is so incredibly hot here that you would need a second cooker for the warm weather..someone I knew had an Aga and kept it going all summer in their air conditioned house, which made no sense at all! The sauce looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to have an Aga again. It's THE best sort of cooker there is for me. As this one is an electric one I can turn it off for the summer months if we chose to. Our last one was an oil version, which meant that if you turned it off (or if it ran out of oil) you had to have it serviced and checked over before you could fire it up again, so we did used to leave it on all year round ... and the back door open wide :-)

      Delete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.