Thursday, 23 January 2014

Oooh .... Iceberg Lettuce

 
 
Day 23
 
Money Spent Today - £0  Vouchers Spent - Today £0   
Money Spent in Total - £4.89    Vouchers Spent in Total - £5
Money left in purse  - £18.11
 
Well I had my Iceberg Lettuce last night with a ready cooked jacket potato from the freezer and a very large dollop of the Cheesy Coleslaw also purchased yesterday.
 
And do you know it's right what they say ... a little bit of what you fancy really does do you good!!
It was worth every penny of the £1 it cost me  which is a whole day's money .. yikes, so I will be making good use of every leaf of that lettuce.
 
 
And in some other news we went to a little get together of our neighbours last Sunday it had been arranged to welcome us to the hillside.  It was lovely to meet some of the folk who live on or around our hill.  We each had to bring a plate or two of food and a favourite drink.
 
I pondered for a while on what to take, and decided on mini sized quiches using four cheeses from the freezer and our own eggs, and a plate of homemade fruit scones with butter and homemade jam.  I used a roll of ready made pastry, not one of the ones I got last week but another one that had been lurking in the freezer for far too long.  Wanting them to have nice crisp bottoms I decided to blind bake them first and hit on the idea of cake cases to hold my ceramic beans ...

 
... it worked a treat, ten minutes with the cases in and then another five with them out and the quiche bases were perfect.  Everyone really like them, sorry I forgot to photograph them before we left, but with Mature Cheddar, Feta, Parmesan and a sprinkling of Red Leicester they were tasty AND colourful. It was a wonderful get together we got to know our neighbours a little better and we found out some more about Mavis's former owner.

 
After I had poured the ceramic beans back into their tub I was left with the very used looking paper cases, I didn't want to just throw them away, it seemed so, well 'throwaway society' to do that after just a ten minute use!!  So yesterday I re-used them to make stuffing balls to pop into the freezer.  The box of stuffing was way out of date and not wanting it to just sit there any longer I decided to use it while I had the chance.
 
So now there is a tub of stuffing balls all ready to be able to pop one out and reheat either with a full roast meal or to have on a sandwich with some chicken for Lovely Hubby or Quorn for me.  The freezer appears to be filling rather than emptying, but I'm not worried .... it's all food :-)
 
Sue xx



2 comments:

  1. Ah sue such an inspiration, when you freeze the stuffing is it already cooked? Then do you need to defrost before baking.Im learning so much here :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I baked them for 10 minutes, so they are lightly cooked. They can either just be thawed and used straight away cold for sandwiches or popped into the oven from frozen with whatever we are having for that particular meal.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.