Thursday, 9 January 2014

No Money Spent ... But More Food in Store

 
Money Spent Today - £0     Money left in purse £9
 
Still no money spent up to now, but strangely it's almost looking like there's more food in stock as the soup made yesterday is now tucked up in the freezer for future meals. half filling one of the shelves.
 
I'm going armed with my camera into the kitchen again later to snap the food that is in the cupboards and freezers so I have a measure of what I started with and how quickly it all goes down.
 
I'm almost ashamed that I have so much but the good thing is that it will all be used.  I almost gave lots of it away before we moved and then realised that Food Banks don't take out of date food and lots of what we have is out of date.  It's crazy that they don't use more common-sense, it's all perfectly edible. 
 
 My honey is out of date but considering they found some in the Egyptian pyramids and it was perfectly edible after three thousand years .... I'm not going to worry!!
 
Sue xx

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to thank you after reading this morning, feeling very inspired I had a look at what needs using up in the fridge.
    There is some mashed potatoe and a single slice of ham - husband could have a ploughmans tea I thought as we have cheese, pickles and crackers.
    In the veg drawer there is an almost whole white cabbage, carrots, onions. The white cabbage we don't use lots of so I googled ideas to use it up. A few minutes later white cabbage, 2 carrots and an onion were grated. I added some mayonnaise and then remembers the pickled beet root that has been lurking in a jar in the fridge for over a year. I added some of that mixed it together and had a good size bowl of coleslaw!
    I have made two pizza bases and have two more mixing in the bread maker - I will put the tub of homemade vegetable pasta sauce on the top of each of these with some grated cheese and then I will have 4 more meals in the freezer from one pot of pasta sauce!
    My husband will be having his ploughmans for tea and we will have the leftover pasta bake from two nights ago.
    After all this the fridge will be slightly emptier but we will have used lots up and have some pizzas ready for busy days.
    Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, wha ta good use of what you had in store, and it's always nice to know there's ready made home prepared food just waiting in the freezer isn't it :-)

      Delete
  2. Yes indeed, so happy with my progress! I can see I am going to stay much more focused on our food budget and homemade cooking whilst reading this blog over the year xx
    Thank you again x

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.