Friday, 31 January 2014

How to Spend the Vouchers ....

 
Day 31
 
Money Spent Today - £0  Vouchers Spent - £0   
Money Spent in Total - £9.96    Vouchers Spent in Total - £5
Money left in purse  - £21.04
 
This is the last day of the first month of the Challenge and I've been doing a lot of thinking about it. My main thoughts this week were trying to work out the best way to spend the accumulating vouchers, Nectar points and coupons etc.  To just go out and spend them willy nilly on day to day shopping seems wrong for the Challenge and well ... not challenging! 
 
 I mean I have nearly £70 in Nectar points, I could just go out and buy a weeks shopping, filling my trolley up with whatever takes my fancy, but what good would that do me in the long run!!
 
So I think I have decided that I will start a list of food items that would be expensive to replace once I have exhausted current supplies, and that were not, nor have ever been weekly purchases in my 'normal' shopping routine.  I have always tended to stockpile things when they are on offer and so have been able for the last few years to keep the week by week shopping bill much lower.  For instance we have the last two large jars of coffee purchased last year still in the cupboard.
 
The sort of things I was thinking of are coffee, butter, cheese, oils etc, something that I have always stockpiled when I have been able to.  This way my normal £1 per day available for food will be spent on the ingredients I really need for the day to day meals once the cupboards run dry and I will have a backbone of the more expensive staples bought entirely from the points, vouchers and coupons.
 
 
If I decide I will go down this path I will start looking for bargains in these items when I am out and about round the shops, but still I want to hang on to my points for as long as possible so we are working our way through things like the cheeses that I have stashed in the freezer after Christmas, and only when stocks are about to run out will they be replaced, hopefully with some real bargains.
 
I'm still thinking about this one though.
 
Sue xx


4 comments:

  1. Continuing your usual stockpiling regime sounds like an excellent use of your vouchers! Also, seems very much in the spirit of your challenge.

    I'm a huge fan of stockpiling - I only started doing intensive stockpiling about 6 months ago (did it on a very small, conservative scale prior to this), and have been so amazed at the enormous savings. I really don't know why I didn't start doing it sooner!

    Congratulations on your fabulous efforts in your first month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue. I have never frozen cheese before. Is it better if you grate it first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese freezes well in any form, but I find that by grating it you can use it virtually straight from the freezer, it takes minutes to thaw out and can be sprinkled onto pizzas pasta etc. minutes after getting out of the freezer and then popped into the oven. It also goes much further when grated, take two 1oz pieces of cheese, grate one and set it next to the other you will see how much more it looks, it soon makes you realise that you use much less of it when it's grated than if you just slice it.

      However it is handy to have a selection in the freezer. Some grated, some in slices (if you eat cheese this way) and you could also freeze some smaller cheeses whole or in wedges I have in the bottom picture,

      The flavour, I find, is just as good when you thaw it as when you froze it as long as you wrap it well to exclude all air.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good way of replacing stores to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry comments are closed for this blog.

If you have any questions please contact me via my main Our New Life in the Country blog. Thanks.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.